Trust and Estate Planning
We counsel clients involved in traditional trust and estate planning to protect their property during life and develop plans for smooth and cost-effective distribution of wealth after death.
At a time when the tax and public benefits laws are in a constant state of flux, flexibility is the cornerstone of competent estate planning. We provide more than just traditional document preparation. We begin with a comprehensive review of financial and family circumstances, an honest discussion of the client’s planning objectives, and a thorough explanation of the tax laws and long-term care programs that will affect a family’s financial security.
In this area of practice we:
- Prepare health care proxies, living wills and durable powers of attorney;
- Prepare wills and revocable living trusts;
- Prepare federal and state estate and gift tax projections;
- Review beneficiary designations on life insurance policies and retirement accounts to ensure that these assets are integrated into the overall estate plan and to maximize income tax deferral;
- Prepare irrevocable life insurance trusts (ILITs), qualified personal residence trusts (QPRTs), charitable remainder trusts (CRTs) and other trust arrangements where appropriate.
- Establish limited liability companies (LLC) to hold business and rental properties in order to centralize family management and create desirable and tax-efficient mechanism for gifting.